Six families affected by fire

Wanda English Burnett- Editor

Six families who live in an apartment building at 305 N. Walnut Street in Osgood, were affected by a fire that started in a one-story portion of the building on Monday afternoon, March 19.

The fire started in the Walter and Tabitha Riley apartment and was accidental, according to Osgood’s Fire Chief, Chris Lemen. He noted that the Riley family lost everything. They have three children.

The rest of the building where five other families live, sustained heavy smoke damage. According to Ripley County Red Cross Director Sandy Vanderbur, they include Ronnie Ball, Joan Bishop, Chris Woods, Kim Edwards, and Jason Miller. She was on the scene immediately and noted that the Red Cross assisted all of the families with various help such as gift cards, vouchers, and motel assistance. She said two of the families, the Rileys and Ronnie Ball, were displaced. Ball didn’t have electricity in his apartment due to the close proximity of the origination of the fire.

Fourteen firemen from the Osgood Volunteer Fire Department responded to the scene. According to Chief Lemen, they were there within three minutes of the call. From across town Lemen noted that you could see the heavy smoke. Immediately they called for assistance from Versailles knowing the building was old and it could burn quickly. They were able to extinguish the fire in a hurry and prevent additional loss. Estimates of loss include $40,000 in contents and $90,000 to the structure. The building is owned by Carl Schebler of Line Fork, KY.

Firemen were on the scene about four hours Monday.


© Copyright 2003 Ripley Publishing Co.. Inc. | Site Design by Eclectic Video