Versailles burglary solved; felony charges pending
Bystanders help nab hit and run driver

Wanda English Burnett, Editor

The Versailles Police Department had a busy weekend as they wrapped up a burglary case and worked a crash that sent one man to the hospital and another to jail.

According to information from Versailles Town Marshal Joe Mann, a burglary at the Dennis Courtaney residence, 610 W. First North Street in Versailles, occurred July 17 in the early morning hours.

Due to an alarm going off, authorites were alerted causing the would be suspects to stop short of taking items.

However, the next day on July 18 the pair returned to finish the job and again were interrupted. Several items were later discovered along with two bicycles the suspects were known to ride.

After a short investigation, Marshal Mann was able to retrieve evidence and testimony to support sending prelimiary charges to the prosecutor.

Darryl W. Simpson Jr., 19, of Anderson, who frequents Versailles, was arrested on August 7 on three pending felony charges: Burglary of a Dwelling, Class B Felony; Burglary of a Structure, a Class C Felony; and Theft, a Class D Felony.

Another suspect involved in the incident will face the same preliminary charges when he is arrested.

No one was at home at the time of the burglary, according to the marshal.

The Versailles Police Department was assisted in the case by officers from the Osgood Police Department, Ripley County Sheriff's Office, and the Indiana State Police.

Marshal Mann also responded to a crash that occurred about 3:30 a.m. Saturday, August 8 at US 50 and High Street in Versailles.

Upon arriving at the scene, the marshal said several concerned citizens had checked on an injured man Danny Stinson of Osgood, who had been operating a white Cadillac. Some of these concerned citizens witnessed the driver of a 2005 Ford Expedition fleeing the scene on foot. Some citizens followed the fleeing person, later discovered to be Jonathan Smith of Versailles. They relayed information to Ripley County Communications. Due to their quick actions, Smith was apprehended by Sgt. Marvin Smith and Deputy Ryan McKittrick of the Ripley County Sheriff's Office.

Initial reports are that Smith had traveled left of center, colliding with the Stinson vehicle. Smith was slightly injured from the crash, but did not require medical attention and was taken into custody and incarcerated in the Ripley County Jail on preliminary charges of Operating a Vehicle While Intoxicated and Leaving the Scene of an Accident with Injury.

Stinson was not seriously injured and was treated and released at Margaret Mary Community Hospital, according to Marshal Mann.

Marshal Mann noted that he appreciated all the help citizens provided in the crash incident. "They checked on the person who was injured, began directing traffic, and were instrumental in the immediate apprehension of Smith," he told The Versailles Republican. "Their help was greatly appreciated."

The marshal was assisted at the scene by Deputies Abe Hildebrand, Ryan McKittrick of the Ripley County Sheriff's Office, along with Sgt. Marvin Smith, and ISP reconstructionist Trooper Jason Hankins. The crash is still under investigation.